Sunday, July 12, 2009

Outer Limits Duathlon

Did Ultrafit-USA's Outer Limits Duathlon this morning ... its a local race, flat and not too long - like a 2 mile run, followed by a 16 mile bike, then a 5K run. Second run felt a bit short of reported length, but I won't complain. Went fairly well, but I definitely have some work to do if I am seriously considering a half-iron in September.

Wore my heart rate monitor, not so much to dictate pace but more out of curiosity ... according to the monitor, my heart rate averaged 162 BPM during the race which is just below my AT. Max HR was apparently 183. Should probably have my heart rate re-tested, as I'm working off data that is like 2 years old. Hmmm.

Legs feel pretty good now - a big thank you to the Running Gods for permitting an injury-free race ...

2 comments:

BettySnyder said...

Hi Stu...please post what the half-iron consists of...thanks. And after your heart rate are the letters AT. What do they stand for?

Stuart said...

Hey Hose! The half-iron triathlon consists of a 1.2 mile swim, then a 56 mile bike, followed by a 13.1 mile run. So exactly half the distances of a full Ironman event. Or, if I opt for the duathlon, it would be a 3.1 mile run, then the 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run. As for "AT", that refers to the anaerobic threshold ... I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that the AT represents the point at which your body can no longer neutralize the lactic acid, so the acid starts to build up in your muscles and impairs performance. That sound plausible? So the heart rate monitor provides a proxy for when your body reaches that point. Stay below your AT, and your recovery is much quicker. Helps to make sure that you are training at the appropriate intensity level for that particular day. Or at least that's the theory. I think.

Followers